From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: s/disk space/drive space
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:32:24
1 Ulrich Mueller posted on Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:57:52 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 >>>>>> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 30/07/13 14:12, Alex Legler wrote:
6 >>> 'disk space' is a perfectly valid term even if you have fancy solid
7 >>> state drives these days. It is an established term in technical
8 >>> documentation that everyone understands even if you don't physically
9 >>> use a 'disk'.
10 >
11 > +1
12 >
13 >> It's *wrong*. In school we were even taught to avoid it. :-)
14 >
15 > It can hardly be more wrong than "drive". A solid state device doesn't
16 > contain any mechanical components like motors that would drive it.
17
18 Additionally, "Drivespace" aka "DRVSPACE.EXE" was an MS whole-partition
19 data-compression product at one point (tho I believe they purchased it
20 rather than developing it "in-house"), superseding "Doublespace". For
21 people familiar with that, "drive space" has unwanted and possibly
22 trademarked associations.
23
24 OTOH, the "free space" or "space available" suggestions I saw elsewhere
25 do make a lot of sense and avoid both the "disc" and "mechanical drive"
26 implications.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman