From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES to cut the excess in portage
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:46:01
1 Look into INSTALL_MASK.
2
3 --Brian Jackson
6 On Nov 5, 2006, at 12:02 PM, John Jawed wrote:
7
8 > Two patches which allow a user to bypass files created with doman and
9 > dodoc in FEATURES:
10 >
11 > FEATURES="noman nodoc" emerge -av foo
12 >
13 > http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/nodoc.patch
14 > http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/noman.patch
15 >
16 > Quick background/inspiration:
17 >
18 > I found myself having to make an initrd suitable to do PXE boots for
19 > our business and educational clusters. I was exploiting the ever so
20 > useful ROOT option for portage to emerge packages into the initrd
21 > build directory. However, because this was an initrd being sent over
22 > the network, total size was important.
23 >
24 > At larger sizes the loading the initrd would actually cause a kernel
25 > panic on pivoting root...whether this was a result of a kernel config,
26 > a set maximum size limit, or something else I'm not exactly sure of.
27 >
28 > Looking at the output of du, I started first by removing the man and
29 > documentation files. This brought the size of my final initrd down
30 > significantly (~287MiB to ~242MiB).
31 >
32 > Possible issues/bigger picture:
33 >
34 > While I was making the changes to doman and prepman, I kept thinking
35 > of how this really is part of a bigger picture, [I think] maybe the
36 > whole minimal concept should be abstracted out of USE (for packages
37 > that have it) and be part of FEATURES (for all packages).
38 > In my case because I was using ROOT in portage to build out an initrd,
39 > I didn't really need or want man or documentation for the packages I
40 > was putting in.
41 >
42 > At the end of the day, maybe there should be a specific mix of
43 > FEATURES such as "nodoc noman" and/or a granular mix of "minimal"
44 > which encompasses the previous+more. Obviously it's open for a lot of
45 > discussion and the patches attached should/would probably not be a
46 > final solution...the goal was that this would be a start.
47 >
48 > We've been using this patch and it's worked out for us well. Your
49 > mileage may vary, if it does, please say something! :-)
50 >
51 > Thanks,
52 > John
53 >
54 > PS Sorry to the devs I was working with (you know who you are :-) for
55 > my inactivity lately...moving my life 1600 miles on a weeks' notice
56 > hasn't exactly been the easiest thing, definitely hasn't helped for
57 > the free time column.
58 > --
59 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list