From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: libressl@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 09:01:33
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 09:56 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, developers and Gentoo LibreSSL team.
3 >
4 > TL;DR: is there really a point in continuing the never-ending always-
5 > regressing struggle towards supporting LibreSSL in Gentoo?
8 > I would like to discuss the possibility of discontinuing LibreSSL
9 > support in Gentoo in favor of sticking with OpenSSL.  Similarly how we
10 > ended up deciding that fighting for libav was unpractical and the vast
11 > majority of users are using ffmpeg (because they didn't really have
12 > a choice), today it seems that LibreSSL is suffering the same fate.
13 >
14 > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?
15 > To be honest, I don't think so.  In 2014, it might have represented
16 > a new quality.  But today, OpenSSL is alive and kicking, and LibreSSL
17 > finds it hard to keep up.
18 >
19 > The vast majority of software is not tested against LibreSSL.  While
20 > patches are usually trivial and we have people that submit them,
21 > I find many of them short-sighted.  Just look at [1].  Sure, it fixes
22 > the build today but it disabled the feature for all foreseeable
23 > future.
24 > How likely is it that somebody will submit another patch reenabling it
25 > with a future LibreSSL version?
26 >
27 > While normally I strongly prefer submitting such patches upstream,
28 > that
29 > makes things even worse.  I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there
30 > were
31 > dozens of packages today that are crippled with LibreSSL just because
32 > somebody fixed the build in the past and never revisited the problem.
33 >
34 > This somewhat resembles running in circles.  Packages kept being
35 > broken
36 > with LibreSSL because rarely anyone is using it.  And rarely anyone is
37 > using LibreSSL because the apparent benefit (or lack thereof) does not
38 > justify the constant breakage (plus invisible regressions).
39 >
40 > All this considered, provided that nobody is able to find a good
41 > reason
42 > to use LibreSSL, I would like to propose that we stop patching
43 > packages, discontinue support for it and last rite it.
46 > [1] https://761981.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=679892
49 As someone who joined the LibreSSL project back in the days, I second
50 this. The ROI given the breakages involved and, in many cases,
51 downstream patch carrying just doesn't seem like a positive tradeoff.
52 The idea was noble, but let's be honest: After 6 years, there's no end
53 in sight, and we seem to be going nowhere.