From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:21:38
1 On Saturday 04 March 2006 18:00, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Saturday 04 March 2006 16:43, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > If you're concerned about diskspace you can filter out /usr/share/doc
4 > > entirely, so users do have the choice. The problem here is that the docs
5 > > USE flag is off by default. Making more packages use the flag would
6 > > install less docs. Has anyone actually complained that too many docs are
7 > > installed by default? It's true that some users/situations don't need
8 > > them, but most do, especially as long as we don't have separate server
9 > > profiles.
10 >
11 > I have seen quite a few bugs about that and actually have filed oneĀ¹,
12 > rotting in bugzilla, myself. I definitely do not care about a few hundred
13 > KB documentation per ebuild, but some install a lot of documentation and
14 > accumulated it's a lot of wasted space. Filtering out /usr/share/doc as a
15 > whole is no choice, when you usually want it, but a fair share not.
16
17 I agree that really large docs should be made USE-dependant. This is also
18 consistent with Ciaran's orig post.
21 Dan Armak
22 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
23 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
24 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951