From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:55:57
1 Sven Wegener wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:16:18PM +0200, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
6 >>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:40:48 +0200
7 >>Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o> wrote:
11 >>>We just had a short discussion over in #gentoo-portage and the
12 >>>idea of an use.force file for profiles came up. It allows us to
13 >>>force some USE flags to be turned on for a profile. It's not
14 >>>possible to disable this flag by make.conf, the environment or
15 >>>package.use. But we would not be Gentoo, if we don't leave a
16 >>>backdoor. You can disable the flag by putting -flag in /etc/
17 >>>portage/profile/use.force if you really need to. Same goes for
18 >>>sub-profiles that need to disable this flag.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>Why a file rather than a make.default variable? I'm thinking of
22 >>something like REQUIRED_USE, which would behave just like USE and
23 >>friends (the so called "incremental" vars in portage). Its
24 >>contents could simply be added to USE after all other steps of
25 >>there respective "incrementation" (profiles, make.conf, user
26 >>env, etc.). And sure there would also be a REQUIRED_USE_EXPAND
27 >>var, similar in purpose to the existing USE_EXPAND but targeting
28 >>REQUIRED_USE, where important things like USERLAND or ELIBC could
29 >>be moved.
33 >The result is the same. I prefer to use files, because they yield better
34 >cvs diff results. Seeing someone change the REQUIRED_USE line involves
35 >looking over the complete line to find the changes. We could split the
36 >line over multiple lines to make it easier, but then we could just use a
37 >flat file. Well we're talking about a couple of flags here, but we don't
38 >know what we'll use these REQUIRE_USE for in the future
42 I like this a lot better, although I know ferringb hates it ;)
43 Putting them in a seperate var means USE="-*" doesn't break stuff and
44 moves the issue of required
45 flags to a seperate area. You could even use a file, if that floats
46 your boat.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list