From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] CWD-relative ROOT support in portage: misfeature?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 03:02:34
1 It has come to my attention that gentoo supports "relative" ROOT, which
2 is to say that, by design, portage will act as though (in bash terms):
3
4 ROOT
5
6 equals
7
8 "${PWD}/${ROOT}"
9
10 when (again in bash terms):
11
12 [[ $ROOT != /* ]]
13
14 at the moment execution crosses the boundary between a non-portage
15 program and a portage program. For example, I ran the following from a
16 bash-prompt with PWD=/tmp in a portage-2.2 ~amd64 environment:
17
18 greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ mkdir foo
19 greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ ROOT=foo portageq envvar ROOT
20 /tmp/foo/
21
22 Question: do we really want this behavior?
23
24 I have reason to believe that almost nobody uses this feature (namely,
25 gcc-config and binutils-config are both broken under it for ages and
26 nobody filed a bug or fixed it: see bugzilla #431104).
27
28 Does /anybody/ use this feature? If not, I'd suggest that the portage
29 team might ask itself whether the benefits of continuing to maintain it
30 are greater than the hassle and potential for error it facilitates.
31
32 Just my 2c,
33
34 -gmt