From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES use or misuse?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:58:40
1 On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:36:18 +0100
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > Userpriv I've seen the funny idea to check if UID=0 and such.
4
5 Yes, and that 'funny idea' has the added advantage of working even if
6 userpriv is in FEATURES but not actually enabled (yes, that can happen).
7
8 > > > To quote:
9 > > > "FEATURES is a portage specific package manager configuration
10 > > > variable not specified in PMS and cannot reliably be used in
11 > > > ebuilds or eclasses."
12 > >
13 > > Makes sense to me atm.
14 >
15 > Makes no sense to me, but then I seem to be special :)
16
17 PMS doesn't document user configuration. If PMS did document user
18 configuration, it would mean that user configuration file formats
19 couldn't arbitrarily be changed between package manager versions as
20 they are now.
21
22 If FEATURES were specified by PMS, Portage wouldn't be able to change
23 the meaning of its entries without careful EAPI controls. So far as I'm
24 aware, no-one is in favour of introducing such a restriction. There
25 are easy alternatives available, and unlike checking FEATURES, those
26 alternatives actually work.
27
28 > And all my attempts to get it fixed have been deflected, so I'll keep
29 > ridiculing it until it stops being a failwhale.
30
31 Patrick, perhaps you would find your efforts more fruitful were you to
32 respond to reviews of your patches by fixing the issues raised, instead
33 of using every available opportunity you can find to take pot-shots at
34 PMS, close off legitimate bugs as INVALID and generally attempt to make
35 life as hard as possible for those for whom PMS matters most.
36
37 Of the small number of patches that have ended up being rejected from
38 PMS, all but one have been yours, and the one that wasn't was because
39 the author had mistranslated a phrase. I'd appreciate it if you would
40 stop to consider why this is the case.
43 Ciaran McCreesh