From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why adding python3_8 to Gentoo sucks?
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 17:15:54
1 On 11/16/19 4:41 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > More precisely, this is in context of dependency corrections. There is
4 > no need to go through stabilization to restrict too broad dependency
5 > specifications, while stable users hit the issue for the next two
6 > months.
9 The word "dependency" doesn't appear on that page before the line that I
10 have a problem with.
11
12 I'm not arguing against common sense: if you need to fix something
13 that's completely broken in a stable ebuild and if that fix requires a
14 new revision, then do a new (straight to stable) revision. However,
15 that's a rare situation, and the bullet point doesn't make it clear that
16 it's referring to a specific rare situation that should be ignored 99%
17 of the time in favor of the first bullet point.
18
19 To make matters worse, the fact that you can push commits
20 straight-to-stable to fix a bad issue in the stable tree is completely
21 independent of whether or not you make a new revision. You could push an
22 entirely new version with the same goal. So the fact that the exception
23 to the rule appears as a bullet point on the "ebuild revisions" page
24 only sows further confusion.
25
26 When people pull up that page, that want a simple heuristic to follow,
27 not a legal document that they have to decode for half an hour before
28 they can fix a bug.