From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenPGP verification for gentoo-mirror repos
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:02:44
1 On 10/31/2016 09:34 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > The major difference between a developer key and an automated key is
3 > that the latter is far easier target. I think we can trust Gentoo
4 > developers to at least have their keys encrypted. I suppose most of
5 > them don't 'git log -p' the commits their sign but well, it's still
6 > harder to target a developer PC than a public server that most likely
7 > keeps its signature key unencrypted (or with cleartext password).
8
9 If you go this route it becomes more complex, as you need the private
10 key stored on a smartcard to avoid leakage when secret key is handled
11 in-memory (unencrypted properties - so I don't agree with your argument
12 that developers store secret key encrypted). This is a lot better due to
13 process separation in gnupg 2.1 as a parsing error in gpg doesn't have
14 access to keys in gpg-agent as an example, but it is mostly wrong route
15 to go on discussion.
16
17 tl;dr; A signature by a release key is valuable
20 Kristian Fiskerstrand
21 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
22 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3