From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Dropping bootsplash & friends from portage
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:11:39
1 Hi,
2
3 We're considering dropping media-gfx/bootsplash from portage. bootsplash (the
4 kernel patch which gives you pretty background images on your framebuffer
5 console) has an ugly design, and hasn't been developed for a while, but was
6 kept up-to-date with new kernel releases, until 1 year ago.
7
8 spock develops fbsplash, which is a much nicer implementation of the same
9 concept, and actually works on kernels released within the last year :)
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/
11
12 This would also involve removing media-gfx/bootsplash-themes-livecd (newer
13 fbsplash livecd themes are kept in media-gfx/splash-themes-livecd), and we'd
14 probably rename bootsplash-themes to splash-themes (bootsplash-themes works
15 with both bootsplash and fbsplash, so no need to drop it).
16
17 Any comments?
18
19 Daniel