From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Discord
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 06:17:03
1 On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 22:34 +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > In this article on chat services used for OSS:
3 >
4 > https://catfox.life/2019/04/28/keeping-libre-software-accessible-to-all/
5 >
6 > I was surprised to see a mention of Gentoo as a project that uses "Discord
7 > as an official method of communication". When I searched, I indeed found
8 > https://discordapp.com/invite/gentoo. However, I'd never before heard we
9 > were using Discord (and didn't find any mentions of Discord on the -dev or
10 > -project mailing lists).
11 >
12 > Is this indeed an official venue? It's not listed on
13 > https://gentoo.org/support/ (which does mention IRC).
16 No. It's just one of those fancy things PR project uses to interact
17 with the modern cool kids™.
18
19 However, I suppose you could have used the word 'official'
20 in the meaning that of all Discord accounts (?) this one has actually
21 anything to do with Gentoo. However, 'official method of communication'
22 goes beyond that and this is plain wrong.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny