From: Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ebuilds for GCC
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:37:18
1 Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 09:16 schrieb ext Ciaran McCreesh:
2
3 > <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > | So my question is: Would it be a good idea to generally turn GCC into
5 > | split ebuilds (like KDE/X.org)? Pros/Cons?
6 >
7 > Sure, that'd be nice. It's also impossible, but don't let that stop you
8 > from trying.
9
10 Could you explain why it is impossible?
11
12 However, my point is not trying to force GCC into split ebuilds, but rather
13 having the GCC suite installed in a consistant manner. I don't like the
14 idea of having a couple of languages in one ebuild, while other languages
15 are installed via their own ebuild.
16
17 IMHO it would be easier for the end user (like me) to either install GCC
18 with one ebuild, enabling the languages I want via USE flags, or have one
19 ebuild for each language, but not one ebuild for a handful of languages and
20 separated ebuilds for each of the others.
21
22 Bye...
23
24 Dirk
25 --
26 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
27 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
28 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
29 Hambornerstraße 55 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
30 D-40472 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
31 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net