From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:59:05
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 5:26 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On 12 February 2016 at 18:56, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 > >> So my USE="-* ..." (without letting portage do autounmasking) would
7 > >> continue to work just like it does now, correct?
8 > >
9 > > I would hope so.
10 >
11 > That would be my proposal.
12 >
13 > I think it would make more sense in general for this to be the default
14 > and to have a flag to disable it, in part for this reason. It
15 > wouldn't affect people running -* and such anyway, so this is targeted
16 > mostly at users who don't care a great deal about micromanaging their
17 > USE flags.
20 I use -* exactly because I /don't/ want to micromanage, and there are far
21 too many packages whose maintainers have decided to stick + in IUSE for
22 random crap. To wishlist a different feature, it'd be nice to have a
23 profile or something that made portage ignore
24 IUSE="+maintainers-favorite-flag" so we wouldn't have to use -*... I'll
25 happily let portage semi-manage USE for me by auto-enabling USE in
26 dependencies if I can set the base USE in the first place without having to
27 start off with global negation.