From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Merge 7 Fedora wallpapers packages to single one with slots?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 22:39:19
1 Hi Alec,
4 On 27.01.2018 22:58, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > I noticed that we have 7 packages on Fedora wallpapers with names that
6 > > only explain themselves to Fedora insiders:
7 >
8 > So traditionally we follow upstream package naming. If we aim to
9 > deviate, I'd prefer we have strong reasons for it.
10
11 good point.
14 > > I was thinking that we could merge these packages into a new package
15 > > "x11-themes/fedora-backgrounds" or so with slots 11 to 16 so that people
16 > > can still install them in parallel, get slot updates automatically,
17 > > adding more recent ones does not add more packages, and the package name
18 > > explains itself.
19 >
20 > Why not just make x11-themes/fedora-backgrounds, a metapackage that
21 > includes all of the packages?
22
23 With one file and use flags for each version or with one ebuild file per
24 slot? Fedora 21 was the last release with a release name so if we
25 package 22+ later, their ebuilds would be non-meta in nature. I'm not
26 sure how to blend that into the use-flag version (yet for a meta package
27 all these files seem overkill too). Do you have some third option in mind?
28
29 Best
33 Sebastian