From: Piotr Szymaniak <szarpaj@××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packages/build systems not honoring LINGUAS and a sane solution
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:59:02
1 Hi.
2
3 Long story short:
4 localepurge will be removed from portage [1]. As I was (/am) heavy
5 user of it I found it funny that "linguas takes care of the proper
6 locale installation" [2]. Maybe it should, but there's some major
7 failure in lots of packages.
8
9 So I filled few dozen bugs about this, but it's not always an easy task
10 to make a package respect LINGUAS. As we talked about it on #gentoo-bugs
11 there were few suggestions to solve this issue.
12
13 Not directly related to solving, but will help (by ssuominen):
14 make a tracker bug for offending packages
15
16 And related to issue:
17 1) an eclass to clean unwanted locale/man pages/whatsoever - yngwin
18 suggested that theres something similar for qt [3]
19 2) something like FEATURES="fixlafiles" (fixlocale? ;)
20
21 Opinions?
24 [1]
25 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_1ad70654df864843b9b6d0da2f177183.xml
26 [2]
27 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_69c10fa4b1af60615e49f09e79c63dd1.xml
28 [3] -
29 000039 < yngwin>
30 https://gitorious.org/gentoo-qt/qt/blobs/master/eclass/qt4-edge.eclass
31 at the end has prepare_translations, but it's Qt specific
34 Piotr Szymaniak.
35 --
36 - Zemscic sie? - pociagnal nosem Waldo. - Nie wiem. Kiedys myslalem
37 o zemscie. (...) Lecz koniec koncem, coz ona jest warta, ta zachwalana
38 zemsta? Niczego sie przez nia nie zyskuje. Bynajmniej nie poprawia
39 czlowiekowi samopoczucia. I w koncu sprawia, ze staje sie on jeszcze
40 gorszy od ludzi, ktorych chcial ukarac.
41 -- Graham Masterton, "The Burning"