From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 21:15:38
1 > > This is the case with dev-lang/v8: it doesn't build on x32
2 > > (<https://bugs.gentoo.org/423815>), and upstream said they *won't*
3 > > support x32
4 > > (<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/v8-users/c-_URSZqTq8/7wHl095t2CMJ>).
5 > >
6 > > Note that with v8 it's not just about getting v8 itself to compile, but
7 > > also making it generate correct JIT code on x32, which would require
8 > > substantial changes to v8 code (in fact, a whole new 40K arch port, see
9 > > the discussion linked to above).
10 > >
11 > > Should dev-lang/v8 get p.masked on x32 profile, or is there some better
12 > > way to handle it? What are your suggestions?
13
14 Just mask it or port it. x32 is not user-ready yet. Only for curious devs.
15 Does v8 have portable non-JIT variant? Should be enough for the first time
16 to test/fix dependent packages.
17
18 > From what Diego wrote about it, I would say we shouldn't spend much
19 > time and effort on x32. I know it's the new and shiny thing, but it
20 > doesn't seem very useful. I think arm64/aarch64/armv8 is more
21 > promising, if you want to play around with a new arch.
22 >
23 > > I had a crazy idea to just build v8 and v8-dependent packages using
24 > > non-x32 ABI, but I'm not sure if it's possible and if it would be the
25 > > right thing to do.
26
27 Not worth the effort IMO.
28
29 > If it's easy to do a kind of multilib setup, then it might be worth doing.
30
31 It's fine to have multilib with all the 3 ABIs all at once. It works today already.
35 Sergei