From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:35:06
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
2 200709201234.42152.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Thu, 20 Sep
3 2007 12:34:41 -0400:
4
5 > we know that someone taking a stage3 has never configured anything
6 > before and so we can safely put defaults into /root/.
7
8 Just to point out... I've seen people mention overlaying a stage-3 on an
9 existing installation for recovery reasons, generally broken gcc or (on
10 amd64) switching back to multilib from 64-bit only profiles, so it
11 /cannot/ be rightly assumed that there's not an existing configuration
12 in /root/. (Whether that's the right way to accomplish such recovery
13 isn't the point; the point is, it's done, by people desperate to get a
14 working system once again who know no other way to do it.)
15
16 Chris's idea of testing both USE=build *AND* that there's no existing
17 file there that's going to get blown away, sounds reasonable, regardless
18 of the debate over where the code is eventually placed.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list