From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:36:15
1 I think that sums up some good answers to my questions, too.
2
3 Jeff.
4
5 On 04/05/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 13:48 +0200, Bart Braem wrote:
8 > > Does compiling KDE introduce so many bugs? I mean, let's be serious, all
9 > > other distributions have a stable 3.5.x now. Don't they experience all
10 > > those horrible bugs?
11 >
12 > Compiling KDE doesn't introduce bugs. Compiling KDE with any
13 > combination of USE/CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/GCC/Glibc/etc does. Remember that
14 > we're a from-source distribution. Guys like Debian or Red Hat just have
15 > to compile it *once* then they make a package of it, with exactly *one*
16 > set of options (USE), C(XX)FLAGS, gcc, glibc, etc. making their job
17 > infinitely easier.
18 >
19 > > Seriously, this is really becoming an issue. As I pointed out in a bug I
20 > > filed for a stable KDE (for which I apologize, I should have looked here
21 > > first), some people are leaving Gentoo because of this slow upgrade
22 > > process.
23 >
24 > Honestly, if they're leaving over something so minor, they're free to
25 > go. We're not a commercial distribution. We don't sell Gentoo. We're
26 > not concerned with market share.
27 >
28 > > The classical answer from devs is "it's ready when it's ready". From a
29 > user
30 > > point of view this is very, very vague. Please give users a more clear
31 > > explanation, this creates great frustration when looking at other
32 > > distributions. Because it's stable there.
33 >
34 > As I stated above, they have a *much* lower barrier of entry for making
35 > something stable than we do. We've tried making this explanation over
36 > and over again. The problem is that every single version of $package,
37 > people don't look at the last explanation and ask again... and again...
38 > and again... and again. It gets very old to answer the same question
39 > over and over again. The simple answer is really "when we don't have
40 > major showstopper bugs anymore". Again, remember that we have to
41 > support countless combinations from our users. Other distributions need
42 > to support only one. They can use forms of tricks to get it to compile
43 > that *one* time, including adding patches and other things that might
44 > not be suitable for a from-source distribution.
45 >
46 > > These are my 2 cents as a user. One that loves Gentoo. One that loves
47 > KDE.
48 > > One that's frustrated by the current situation. I am a CS so I know how
49 > > hard programming can be, don't get me wrong there. I do appreciate what
50 > you
51 > > guys do. But I can't understand why you do it this way right now.
52 >
53 > Quite simply, we don't want to give you crap.
54 >
55 > If we followed others blindly, as so many users suggest, then we would
56 > have stabilized KDE 3.5 ages ago, and every single one of you KDE users
57 > would be complaining about how our QA sucks because KDE doesn't compile
58 > or breaks badly in so many places. We would hear about how Gentoo sucks
59 > where they can't even test such a major application as KDE properly. We
60 > would have users leaving in droves. Now, we can't have both fast
61 > stabilization *and* actual stability, so we err on the side of caution.
62 > We don't like hearing complaints any more than anyone else, but we'd
63 > rather hear a few "why isn't KDE stable yet" questions than *everyone*
64 > saying we suck because KDE is broken.
65 >
66 > I hope that sums it up for you.
67 >
68 > By the way, this isn't just for KDE. This is how we do *every* package.
69 >
70 > --
71 > Chris Gianelloni
72 > Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
73 > x86 Architecture Team
74 > Games - Developer
75 > Gentoo Linux
92 Argument against Linux number 6,033:
93
94 "...So this is like most Linux viruses. You have to download the virus
95 yourself, become root, install it and then run it. Seems like a lot of work
96 just to experience what you can get on Windows with a lot less trouble."