From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about XML files used in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:25:30
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 07:28 -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > 2. Are metadata.xml files a requirement for categories? There are
3 > a few categories that do not have one:
4 > * x11-proto
5 > * x11-apps
6 > * x11-drivers
7
8 They should have one.
9
10 > 3. If a metadata.xml has a <longdescription> element, is it
11 > required to contain text? There is at least one package that
12 > has an empty <longdescription>. I wanted to use the
13 > <longdescription> to override the DESCRIPTION in the .ebuild, if
14 > it exists, but in this case the DESCRIPTION is actually
15 > infinitely longer than the <longdescription>.
16
17 It should contain text, but I don't think that the dtd requires it.
18 Perhaps it should?
19
20 > 4. Speaking of <longdescription>, are line breaks to be preserved
21 > in their representation? There are a few packages whose
22 > <longdescription> use line breaks for formatting. One in
23 > particular, gnustep-libs/steptalk not only prefers to preserve
24 > line breaks, but also appears to prefer a fixed-width font in
25 > it's representation. Is this also a requirement?
26
27 As far as I know, there are few *requirements* defined for metadata.xml
28 files. All we really have is the dtd to determine what is legal.
29 Anything beyond that really hasn't been discussed.
30
31 Perhaps now is the time to start such discussions?
32
33 > If anyone has answers to any of the above questions I thank you in
34 > advance for your response.
35
36 Just out of curiosity, what is your project?
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
41 Games - Developer
42 Gentoo Linux