From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: Christian Aust <christian@××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Missing feature for
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:08:54
1 Well, you can enable ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf and set it to
2 ~arch, where "arch" is your architecture (i.e. ~x86). This opens up a
3 number of interesting packages. Then there is
4 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask. Any item in this file is literally
5 banned from being installed, usually as a safety precaution. gcc-3.3 is
6 a fairly new compiler release, and I believe some fo the AMD Hammer
7 patches are still reported to break things, so it's masked in
8 package.mask to protect even the people running ~arch. I currently use
9 gcc-3.3 and glibc-2.3.2-r2 + nptl, and so far haven't had any issues.
10 When these packages will be removed from package.mask is anyone's guess,
11 but for now, every `emerge rsync', you'll have to manually edit that
12 file. It's what I have to do.
13
14 --Kumba
17 Christian Aust wrote:
18 > Hi all,
19 >
20 > I'm not sure if gentoo actually lacks this feature, but how can I
21 > permanently accept ebuilds that are marked unstable, _without_ messing
22 > with the original ebuild file and loosing my changes during the next
23 > portage update?
24 >
25 > Ie, I've emerged gcc-3.3 and like to give it a try on my Intel P4. But
26 > "emerge -ep system" would downgrade it to 3.2.x first, instead of
27 > leaving it alone. Also, I wouldn't like to accept all unstable packages
28 > in make.conf; I figure it would be more difficult to tell what went
29 > wrong wrong in case of an error if you have all unstable packages (and
30 > not only gcc).
31 >
32 > Your feedback is appreciated. Best regards,
33 >
34 > - Christian
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list