From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:54:13
1 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:46:12 -0400
2 Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:15:18 -0400
6 > > Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Marius Mauch wrote:
9 > >>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:53:32 -0400
10 > >>> Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
11 > >>>
12 > >>>> Lance Albertson wrote:
13 > >>>>> I thought of that while I was walking to a meeting..heh
14 > >>>>> Basically, Appoint two people to co-lead, or appoint one Lead
15 > >>>>> and one Vice Lead. That way there's some kind of accountability
16 > >>>>> on the bare minimum level and good coverage (hopefully).
17 > >>>>>
18 > >>>> I was also thinking about turning the Council into a Leaders
19 > >>>> Group , or probably to create a new Core Team.
20 > >>> [snip]
21 > >>>
22 > >>> Before everyone start posting "solutions" please *clearly* define
23 > >>> the perceived problem first, otherwise all attempts to fix it are
24 > >>> futile.
25 > >>>
26 > >> Gentoo current state of stagnation.
27 > >> (re-read some posting of this thread, the first one made by Donnie
28 > >> mainly)
29 > >
30 > > That's about as vague as you can get.
31 > >
32 > > Marius
35 > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=115637880223243&w=2
38 > *sighs*
39
40 Donnie isn't much clearer either (it's mostly observations mixed with
41 personal feelings, not much in real problem anlysis).
42 Why do you think Gentoo is stagnating?
43 What are the exact problems?
44 List them one by one with one or two sentences, give concrete
45 examples/pointers of what went wrong in the past. Statements like
46 "nothing got done in Gentoo" are useless when you don't say what you
47 think should have been done (without using "something").
48
49 In my opinion this really isn't much different than fixing a bug in
50 a program (conceptually):
51 1) Describe the problem by listing actual and expected results.
52 2) Locate the (physical) source of the problem.
53 3) Analyze what's really causing the problem, verify that your analysis
54 is correct.
55 4) Determine what the best option to fix the problem
56
57 Right now we're just at the beginning of 1), we have a high level
58 description of the problem, now we need to split it up into testcases
59 (= actual examples of what people think went wrong).
60 Only then can you proceed with the next step.
61
62 Maybe it's just because I don't really see a problem myself, but I'd
63 really like to understand what people want to get improved, but for
64 that we have to move the discussion to a lower (technical) level. Or do
65 you consider bug reports useful where the problem description is "it
66 doesn't work"?
67
68 I mean we had a structure when Daniel left, we considered it to be
69 broken and replaced it with something else (after a long debate,
70 selected from multiple proposals), and now everyone says this is also
71 broken and again wants to turn everything upside? If so then lets first
72 please examine why.
73
74 Marius
75
76 PS: I'm not tied to any specific structure, just dislike the constant
77 "something sucks, lets change something in the organization to fix it"
78 attitude without ever really knowing what this "something" exactly is.
83 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
84 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.