From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EBUILD_FORMAT support
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:06:18
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:20:16PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > To allow for this to work with current portage versions, perhaps it would
3 > be an option to introduce a new extension for .ebuild scripts that use
4 > it's functionality. That would allow all non-EAPI aware portage versions
5 > to automatically ignore ebuilds that use this.
6 not much for .ebuild? in the tree, personally.
7 Why? Cause portage *should not* ignore those ebuilds. If the user
8 wants to merge something that is a later ebuild api then they have, at
9 least portage chucks an exception that the UI can wrap into "upgrade
10 portage".
11
12 With what you're proposing, we instead get bugs about portage missing
13 packages.
14
15 > ps. I would also suggest requiring that EAPI can be retrieved by a simple
16 > line by line parsing without using bash. (This allows for changing the
17 > parsing system)
18 No, that's yanks EAPI setting away from eclasses.
19
20 Only time this would be required is if we move away from bash; if that
21 occurs, then I'd think a new extension would be required.
22
23 As is, shifting the 'template' loaded for an ebuild can be done in
24 ebd's init_environ easy enough, so no reason to add the extra
25 restrictions/changes.
26
27 My 2 cents, at least ;)
28 ~harring