From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] package.keywords intended behavior?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:21:31
1 I sent this to gentoo-user three days ago and got no reply. I guess it
2 might be more you guys's cup o tea. :)
5 The other day I decided to upgrade the mythfrontend on my system. I
6 decided to set "media-tv/mythfrontend ~x86" in
7 /etc/portage/package.keywords . This is the same system that lost the
8 package database due to a corrupted fs under /var. So 'emerge -pv
9 mythfrontend' says I need to emerge a whole bunch of stuff (~30
10 packages). I decide to consider it part of rebuilding the database. So
11 I let it run.
12
13 Here is the problem. I expected it to emerge the dependencies with no
14 keywords, and then emerge mythfrontend with ~x86. This did not happen.
15 Now there is a whole bunch of stuff on my system that needs downgraded.
16
17 This behavior differs from 'emerge -uDpv world' in that only packages
18 listed in package.keywords will be emerged with ~x86. There is no
19 inheritance there.
20
21 So the question, is this the expected behavior of package.keywords?
22 Should dependencies of a listed package inherit it's keyword?
23
24 TIA,
25
26 Cooper.