From: Dmitry Yu Okunev <dyokunev@××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc service script dependency checker
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:58:16
1 One more ¢…
2
3 On 12/04/2014 08:37 PM, Christopher Head wrote:
4 > On December 4, 2014 8:12:58 AM PST, Andrew Savchenko
5 > <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Yes. But booting as much services as possible is even more
8 >> preferable, especially when box is remote.
9 >
10 > Are you sure booting most, but not all, services in a loop is always
11 > better than booting none of them at all? What if I have an insecure
12 > dæmon listening on TCP, I need it running, but I want to ensure only
13 > local processes can connect to it? Obviously, I would make it “need
14 > iptables”, assuming the dæmon doesn’t have its own bind address
15 > config knob.
16 >
17 > What if now, by some accident, iptables ends up in a loop (maybe not
18 > even a loop including $insecure_service, but some other loop
19 > entirely), and it’s the randomly chosen victim? Is it still good to
20 > boot as many services as possible? I think not.
21
22 > I would make it “need iptables”
23
24 Firstly, the loop solver doesn't remove "need" dependencies [1]. There
25 will be no problem.
26
27 [1]
28 https://github.com/xaionaro/documentation/blob/master/openrc/earlyloopdetector/early-loop-detection.pdf
29
30 But there are few ways to bypass such problems. For example:
31 - Don't enable the option in this case. You should understand
32 consequences of enabling any non-default option. Also for example
33 sysadmin shouldn't setup public sshd with pass "test" on root. Here's
34 the same. It's just required to understand what are you doing.
35 - Use network namespaces for insecure processes without ability to
36 setup the bind address. And use iptables to redirect to the real
37 listening port (in the namespace).
40 Best regards, Dmitry.