From: Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] how to test ebuilds without being root?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:42:17
1 Hi,
2
3 I wonder, how I can test my own ebuilds, without being root. As far as I can
4 see, there is no necessary need to work as root until the qmerge step.
5
6 At the moment, I get access violations, because as a normal user (group:
7 portage) I do not have write access to /var/tmp/portage/... (of course).
8 But I don't want to start my (maybe buggy) ebuilds as root, because my system
9 could become unusable by accident, if there are bugs in my ebuild.
10
11 I found the 'sandbox', 'usersandbox' and 'userpriv' things in /etc/make.conf,
12 but no hints, how that could help me. The section 'testing your ebuilds' in
13 the HOWTO does not mentions how one would really test a new ebuild on his
14 machine.
15
16 Do I have to setup a chroot environment for that? Or use vmware or bochs or
17 similar simulations? Or is there an easier and better solution?
18
19 Any hints or advices for me?
20
21 thank you very much,