From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:59:11
1 Hi again
2
3 I would like to somewhat clarify my previous submission.
4 So the new ebuild submission and processing procedure can be as follows:
5
6 1. new ebuild gets submitted through bugs.gentoo.org as it is now (no change)
7 change starts:
8 2. it immediately gets incorporated into the main portage tree with the
9 "unstable" status (robot).
10 3. ebuild voting statistics are kept on bugs.gentoo.org, attached to ebuild
11 submission topic. Voters have to be registered with bugs.gentoo.org as they
12 are now.
13 4. When ebuild accumulates enough unique votes is gets "confirmed" status
14 Meanwhile updates and patches to ebuild are submitted as usual but whoever
15 cares to correct/update it via existing mechanism.
16 5. if ebuild reaches second threshold of "approval wanted" votes or is of
17 special interest for core group it gets reviewed and manually assigned
18 "approved" status and is maintained by the core group.
19 Or there can be additional layer, where ebuild just gets an approval and then
20 when it gets core maintaince it gets "core" status.
21
22 Comments
23 It can seem like a lot of new activity for bugs.gentoo.org. However half of
24 that functionality is already implemented and activity is taking place. The
25 other half is happening and requires manual interaction. Ebiuld submissions
26 are soaring so that some rework of bugs.gentoo.org will probably be necessary
27 anyway. This looks like a way to simplify life fore core developers and
28 everybody else. (When ebuilds start to be posted to mailing list instead of
29 accepted procedure is the time to start thinking about the procedure I think).
32 George