From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: modifications to GLEP42
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 22:03:42
1 On Sat, 05 May 2007 14:44:49 -0700
2 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Well, if you're going about improving it, start by adding in the
4 > > Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: header. It'll be a nuisance to
5 > > implement, but it'll be far more useful than any of the rest of
6 > > this.
7 >
8 > Your word doesn't inspire most of us. If you think this is a good
9 > idea, you need to explain why.
10
11 There's no way to mark a news item as "to be read" when a user upgrades
12 from, say, <foo/bar-1.2 to >=foo/bar-1.2 . Ideally there would be. It
13 wasn't in the first GLEP because it's trickier from a package manager
14 implementation perspective.
15
16 > >> 2. Standards for news items: Based on the paludis news item
17 > >> thread, it's clear we need some standards for what we release as
18 > >> news. If combined with #1 we can set different standards and give
19 > >> the users some more choice on what they accept and what we publish.
20 > >
21 > > It's quite simple. If releasing a news item improves the user
22 > > experience of affected users more than not releasing it, the news
23 > > item should be released.
24 >
25 > It clearly isn't that simple.
26
27 Well, it is in theory. In practice determining into which category a
28 particular news item falls isn't so easy. Perhaps this should be left
29 alone until after we have experience delivering, say, a few dozen news
30 items to a wider audience. Currently the only evidence we have as to
31 the level of news items expected by users is fairly limited.
34 Ciaran McCreesh