From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: debianutils: system worthy ?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:40:55
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
2 200801280723.19003.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Mon, 28 Jan
3 2008 07:23:18 -0500:
4
5 > current debianutils is part of "system" and provides:
6 > - installkernel
7
8 > - mkboot
9
10 > do people consider these things critical ? i dont know the last time i
11 > personally needed/wanted any of these ...
12
13 Mainstream kernel's default make install uses /sbin/installkernel if it
14 exists, so I've been using it, invoking the kernel's make install from my
15 own kernel scripts. installkernel invokes mkboot...
16
17 I'd guess the others are equally likely to be invoked in various custom
18 scripts people have, figuring it's safe to depend on stuff in system. Of
19 course, if they have custom scripts already, they can easily implement
20 the additional customization, or simply add debianutils to their world
21 file, given time...
22
23 At minimum, I'd say make the usual BIG WARNING NOISES in the usual
24 places, and probably still expect complaints. It may still be worth
25 doing to cut down on system size... or not, depending on where the system
26 size vs. inevitable complaints comes down. (FWIW, it's precisely this
27 sort of early warning that's a big reason I read this group. One would
28 think such early warnings would be even /more/ important to those running
29 production systems on Gentoo, but...)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list