From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New Mail Stuff
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:32:59
Hey, I've been working on trying to update the way mail portages are
installed for a while now.  Well, actually, the real job (tm) has been
getting in the way.

Anyway, what I've been trying to do is come up with a method of
installing various types MTA setups (plain, LDAP, etc...) without having
multiple ebuilds (for fear of them getting out of sync).

So, I'm attaching my "work-in-progress".  I'd really appreciate if if
people out there would test this stuff out and provide me with some

Okay, now the details:

Options are set via the "USE" variable in /etc/make.conf.  The existing
options are mta-ldap, mta-mysql and mta-tls.  The ebuild should check
for the variables and do it's magic.

Right now, I've got ebuild files for exim and postfix.  Once these are
ironed out and committed, I'll start work on qmail.  Also, I've created
a mailbase portage.  All this does is create /etc/mail and stuff an
aliases file there.  I did this because exim, postfix and sendmail all
use the same format, and most people just keep it in /etc/mail.  Also,
this solves the issue duplication (ie each MTA portage installing the
same file, and thus a chance for aliases to get out of sync).

Some more notes.  These portages install basic config files that should
allow it to work "out-of-the-box."  The config files are the standard
ones from the MTA, just modified to deliver to ~/.maildir.  I figured
that since the base config files have copious comments, it would help
the users out with configuration questions.

Okay, this message is getting long enough as it is.  Just yank out the
tarball and let me know what you think!!!

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@××××××.com           ||  ...It's much more important
                                  ||  than that!

File name MIME type
mailstuff.tar.bz2 application/octet-stream

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] New Mail Stuff (Achim Gottinger)