From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE & Portages
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:29:48
1 On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 03:32:16AM -0500, Jerry A! wrote:
2
3 > So, I was thinking (yeah, I know how dangerous that is). Is it possible
4 > to specify USE on the command-line? If not, how out-of-place would it
5 > be to specify USE in the .ebuild?
6
7 Right now, you can't specify USE as an environment variable, it's not really
8 intended for that purpose. You're supposed to use it to tell Portage to
9 enable or disable certain optional functionality on a system-wide basis, so that
10 the ebuilds know whether or not to compile-in optional GNOME support if it
11 is available, for instance.
12
13 Maybe if you can describe the specific problem you're trying to solve, we
14 can help you find a better solution (or create a solution if needed).
15
16 Best Regards,
19 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
20 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org