From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE & Portages
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:29:48
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 03:32:16AM -0500, Jerry A! wrote:

> So, I was thinking (yeah, I know how dangerous that is). Is it possible > to specify USE on the command-line? If not, how out-of-place would it > be to specify USE in the .ebuild?
Right now, you can't specify USE as an environment variable, it's not really intended for that purpose. You're supposed to use it to tell Portage to enable or disable certain optional functionality on a system-wide basis, so that the ebuilds know whether or not to compile-in optional GNOME support if it is available, for instance. Maybe if you can describe the specific problem you're trying to solve, we can help you find a better solution (or create a solution if needed). Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.