From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags again (informix, memlimit)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:41:34
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:47:45PM +0200, foser wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 11:14, Robin H.Johnson wrote: > > I've almost completed the new PHP eclasses for mod_php and CLI php. > > I just wanted to discuss a possible new global USE flag. > > > > informix - Provides support for IBM Informix server > > > > This would compliment the current 'oci8' for Oracle. > > Once we also get other packages for informix, then will greatly increase > > our appeal to the enterprise market :-). > > In my opinion USE flags should stay local as long as there's not > multiple uses for it currently available (or pending) in the tree . I > don't know if that's the case here (taking into consideration php and > mod_php are basically the same package).
Informix is supported by dev-java/jdbc-informix net-www/cocoon But neither of those need the informix USE flag, however Informix is supported in general.
> > We want to push this to a USE flag as it does cause a visible > > performance hit for the increase in security it provides. > > > > From a little research on Google, it seems that both TeX and PostGres > > support memory limit stuff to some degree (I did not dig much beyond the > > first page linked off google). > wouldn't be a general security type of flag better ? In general it seems > like the sort of thing flagged.
Any suggested names? Postgres and TeX seem to have it because they can get big easily, not for security reasons.
> > Given the utter lack of response to Tal's previous email to -core, if I > > don't get any answer on these by saturday, I'll look at including them > > myself as they are needed for the new PHP ebuilds. > see it like this, other devs don't deal with your packages and may be > careful to give their opinion about something they haven't looked into > (i know i am).
I don't expect that they have looked into my packages deeply, but I was looking for response regarding these flags and their packages (which I haven't looked deeply at).
Is the performance of the app not part of it's functionality? If so, then icc has a use. Likewise for jikes. -- Robin Hugh Johnson E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85