From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic dependencies
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:45:19
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 16/09/15 04:30 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >>
8 >> If you modify an eclass, you're responsible for the outcome.
9 >> Even if means revbumping hundreds of ebuilds for the sake of
10 >> it. Note that this is the kind of revbump that wouldn't require
11 >> resetting stable keywords as long as deps are satisfied.
12 >
13 > Ok, so it sounds like there are two eclass proposals out there:
14 > 1. Modify the eclass in place and then revbump all ebuilds that
15 > use it for which the new RDEPEND matters (the second part of this
16 > email). 2. Don't modify the eclass in place, and then update the
17 > eclass reference and revbump any ebuilds for which the new
18 > RDEPEND matters, and for the ones that don't matter there really
19 > is no change since they use the old eclass.
20 >
21 > #1 results in less eclass propagation, but requires mass-commits.
22 > #2 seems safer and allows the eclass and ebuilds to be modified
23 > separately, but still requires lots of ebuild changing.
26 >> Runtime. The minver can be raised for developer's convenience
27 >> -- like when a large number of packages is expected to require
28 >> a new version soon, and the developers would otherwise have to
29 >> override the eclass- specified versions. Instead, the eclass is
30 >> updated and new requirements apply.
31 >
32 > Does not revbumping in this situation actually save us much other
33 > than the need to do the revbumps themselves?
34 >
35 > If the dependency uses a slot operator then everything is going
36 > to get rebuilt anyway as soon as the first package comes along
37 > and triggers an update. Then again, it does save us a bunch of
38 > revbumps.
41 ..if the minver is bumped on the atom in the eclass, and the package
42 is re-emerged without dyndeps, then the existing installed
43 dependency is considered fine and kept, whereas with dyndeps it
44 would be upgraded. Is that the only thing we need to be concerned
45 about?
46
47 - - emerge -uD @world would update the dep anyhow
48
49 - - emerge -u @world wouldn't rebuild the package if that package
50 didn't change, and if the package did change then the new dep would
51 get built.
52
53 - - emerge [package] is as above.
54
55 So I think I can safely drop my concern. Care still needs to be
56 given, certainly, as if the in-tree package isn't revbumped and gets
57 a patch that only supports the new dep, then suddenly systems will
58 fail when said package re-emerges. But that seems bad practice anyhow
59 .