From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 02:44:27
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 22:36 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> From what I see, projects are pretty free to govern themselves. How do
4 >> you see it differently?
5 >
6 > How do you kick someone out of a project? Currently, I know of no way
7 > to do so.
8 >
9 > What process is required for someone to join a project? Currently,
10 > anyone can add themselves to any project without any consent from the
11 > project itself. The only real counter-examples to this are projects
12 > which require some kind of specific authorization to join, such as
13 > devrel or infra, since they have access controls.
14 >
15 > Who is responsible for an individual developer's work, aside from the
16 > developer? If a developer joins a project and doesn't do what he's
17 > promised, nothing happens to him. If he doesn't work his bugs, nothing
18 > happens. Why not?
19 >
20 > What if the developer does poor work? This really ties into the above,
21 > but what happens if someone is found to not really possess the skills
22 > necessary to be in a project? Right now, we cannot do anything about
23 > this person but hope that they either magically gain the skills, or
24 > leave the project on their own accord.
25
26 That's not true, from my reading of the developer handbook.
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=5
29 says:
30
31 "Decisions within a project can be made by the people inside project
32 itself, of course coordination between the projects is necessary. The
33 (sub-)project leads are usually responsible for doing this."
34
35 As far as I'm concerned, project membership is a decision within the
36 project.
37
38 Thanks,
39 Donnie