From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild indentation (tabs vs. spaces) fascism ;^)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:00:38
1 On Sunday 28 April 2002 05:38, Arcady Genkin wrote:
2
3 > Just as easily any decent editor can be configured to not use tab
4 > characters, and insert 4 spaces when you hit TAB once.
5
6 Sure you can (with any decent editor) but it doesn't make the real problem go
7 away.
8
9 > unless I pre-configure my VI, emacsen and terminals for every possible
10 > combination of machines and accounts.
11
12 Well it's not our problem that your homedirectories don't contain your editor
13 startup files. Besides that, the ebuilds will look just fine without you
14 setting anything. The tabstop=4 (or whatever) thing comes into play with real
15 source code where you have plenty of indentation where you want to see all of
16 the code without making your terminal bigger (if you can). With tabs you can
17 do this as Bruce pointed out already with spaces you're doomed.
18
19 Alex
22 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
23 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
24 Benjamin Franklin