From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Alternative Gentoo package managers discussion request (for the council)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:58:25
1 On 18/05/06, Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 00:23 +0100, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 17:38 -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
5 > > > As the latest long thread has shown, there seems to be a split (it is
6 > hard to
7 > > > tell exactly) on whether or not alternative package managers, that
8 > support
9 > > > Gentoo ebuilds to some degree, should be added to the tree and
10 > supported.
11 > > > Supported in this case means having their own profiles which may or
12 > may not
13 > > > work with Portage. There are currently a few different Portage
14 > rewrites, or
15 > > > alternatives, whatever you want to call them, and all of them have
16 > their own
17 > > > unique features being added to them which make them incompatible with
18 > Portage.
19 > > > Some don't even emulate Portage's "broken" behaviour which could also
20 > cause
21 > > > QA problems for us if we add the package to the tree. If a package is
22 > in the
23 > > > tree, it is implicitly stating that we are going to offer some level
24 > of
25 > > > support for that application, and it increases workload for everyone
26 > that
27 > > > may have an ebuild that works with one package manager and not
28 > another.
29 > > >
30 > > > Therefore, I am requesting at the next Council meeting that they
31 > discuss
32 > > > and decide on how we want to handle problems like this in
33 > general. This
34 > > > is not going to be the last time that someone wants to add their
35 > rewrite/
36 > > > alternative of Portage to the tree. It should be decided if it is
37 > really
38 > > > in the best interests of Gentoo, its users, and developers to be
39 > adding
40 > > > these new managers to our own tree, instead of having them host their
41 > > > altered work on their own infrastructure.
42 > > >
43 > > > As the QA lead, I am requesting that until the Council convenes and
44 > decides
45 > > > on how we should proceed, that we not add anything else to the tree
46 > > > for the sole reason of supporting another package manager's features.
47 > > > This includes profiles or any other packages. This will reduce
48 > > > headaches for all of us, and hopefully cut down on needless arguments
49 > > > that get us no where.
50 > >
51 > > Good call Mark. I second this request.
52 >
53 > Maybe I should have ellaborated on that, I do believe that the current
54 > thread has been somewhat educational for a 'newbie' like myself, but I
55 > also think that for the future it would be beneficial for people to know
56 > how to go about similar. :)
59 > --
60 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
61 >
62 > Glad to see my suggestion of sorting this problem before going full stream
63 ahead:
64
65 > Surely then it would be better to work on a comprimise for the sake of
66 Gentoo rather than paludis. Horse before the cart.