From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:27:56
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > From all of the large Gentoo deployments I've done (one of which
3 > exceeded 200 machines), you're approaching this the wrong way.
4 > ...
5 Thanks for the concise and clear explanation. It's the first time I've read
6 a description of how Gentoo might be used on an entreprise level. As Paul
7 says:
8 > It would be cool if you could write up a howto for others who want to do
9 this.
10 ..although I figure if you know enough about gentoo to take a job
11 administering you should be able to follow that explanation well enough.
12
13 Grant Goodyear wrote:
14 >> Yes, I know gentoo is a meta-distro. And that there isn't loads of
15 >> bandwidth. That's easily got round.
16 >
17 > It is?
18 >
19 Yes. I'd be happy to set up the site and I'm sure other users would be happy
20 to contribute.
21
22 >> The main problem I see is USE flags (devs already
23 >> compile with standard C-flags right?)...We can always tag
24 >> pkgs with USE flags.
27 > I think you'll find that there is little interest (among devs) in Gentoo
28 > maintaining a binary sub-distribution. My view, and for some time it's
29 > been our semi-official view, is that Gentoo can serve as a nice base for
30 > creating a binary distribution, and we encourage people to do so, but
31 > that it shouldn't be a part of Gentoo itself.
32 >
33 I accept that has been the position. As for devs not wanting to do it, I'm
34 thinking it would be part of the standard emerge process (ie binhost/PKGDIR
35 and -b) but you would need to add tagging of USE flags if the binary format
36 ATM does not include which flags were used.
37
38 So yes, it might add time/ network in terms of uploading but nothing else.
39
40 > (That said, it's true that there is still a real need for better support
41 > for binaries in portage, especially for handling USE conflicts.)
42 >
43 I think the above would _start_ to handle that.
44
45 Stuart Herbert wrote:
46 > If the Seeds project proves successful, I'd be interested in providing
47 > binary packages for seeds. Whether that'll be as part of Gentoo, or
48 > whether it'll be better to move downstream (so to speak) to do so is
49 > up for debate.
50 >
51 So you are looking to provide /some/ sort of binary packages as part of an
52 official Gentoo project then.
53
54 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
55 > My compiles as a dev are of very minimal use to anybody except me.
56 > There are too many things that are specific to my systems.
57 >
58 Sure. Presumably you test packages with standard C-flags as users are
59 advised to before bug-reporting? Other than USE flags what else would make
60 your packages unsuitable for others? If it's only USE flags, then at least
61 the pkg is a start- if others want different settings they can compile
62 their own.
63
64 Hopefully we could set up a collaborative build process so others could
65 upload their builds. In terms of security though, this would have to be
66 restricted to devs (of the new project).
67
68 >> If gentoo is still serious about enterprise adoption, it needs a binary
69 >> repo (so we can avoid system breakage) which would of course be a little
70 >> bit behind. I'd be happy to contribute time, as I'm sure many other users
71 >> would.
72 >
73 Stuart Herbert wrote:
74 > I think that's total rot, sorry. A binary distro can break a system
75 > just as much as a source based one. A source-based distro is just as
76 > practical in the enterprise; in fact, for web stuff, it's a lot more
77 > practical, because it gives you the flexibility to build a box to your
78 > exact needs, rather than having to compromise on what binary distro
79 > vendors provide you with.
80 and Grant Goodyear wrote:
81 > As for Gentoo being serious about enterprise adoption, I don't agree
82 > that we need a binary repo. I think we ought to make it easy for our
83 > users to create and use their own, customized, distribution. That's our
84 > strength as a meta-distribution. (We also need to make it easy to
85 > install and replicate custom distributions, but we already have Catalyst
86 > and the Seeds project addressing those issues.)
87 >
88 I accept that for the enterprise compiling from source may well be better,
89 based on Robin Johnson's reply. However this point about system breakage is
90 serious *for users*.
91
92 Stuart Herbert wrote:
93 > I think what you really need is an alternative package tree, one
94 > that's versioned and tested as a whole, and one that isn't "live".
95 >
96 That's also been discussed on the fora. I think the idea was that if we have
97 the tree in svn (or whatever) there would be better scope for branches to
98 enable exactly that.
99
100 Regards,
101 Steve.