From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removal of CVS headers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:59:49
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> wrote:
2 >>> This is a very useful feature and should not be removed only because
3 >>> council was told that it's a mere CVS migration cruft. It is not!
4 >>
5 >>If this is about keeping ebuilds in your overlay in sync, you could
6 >>alternatively use the output of git ls-tree to keep track of changes
7 >>using the same blob ids.
8 >
9 > This is not the same. git's ident mechanism doesn't use the commit blob
10 > hash but creates a hash from the file's content. And as I am not using
11 > VCS for my overlay, git ls-tree is no useful replacement solution here.
12
13 I think you completely misread what I wrote. git ls-tree displays the
14 very same blob ids that appear in the $Id$ field. It's exactly the
15 same information you are already using.
16
17 You would run git ls-tree in gentoo.git to obtain the necessary blob
18 ids, and store them somewhere (maybe a comment in the ebuild in your
19 overlay). You could then cross-reference the stored ids after a git
20 fetch from gentoo.git to tell if anything changed.