From: Rolf Eike Beer <eike@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywordreqs and slacking arch teams
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 20:32:25
1 > - Allowed a simple "Add keyword(s) <y..> for package <x>" interface,
2 > that intelligently created an issue and a target list, and then once
3 > the list was built, constantly ensured the list to be valid, or
4 > determined automatically when sub-work was completed and reducing the
5 > published list automatically, and then responded to potential issues
6 > based on changes in git, ( as opposed to being only triggered when
7 > the bug was touched )
8
9 As someone who does both keywordings and stabilizations regularly on hppa and
10 sparc I think I must share a bit of my experiences:
11
12 -some arches are regularly forgotten to be CC'ed, which happens for the above
13 arches quite regularly as they are exp
14
15 -if I need to do a bug at a later point when I want to newly stabilize a given
16 package for a new arch it is extremely helpful if
17
18 - the package list was not reduced on a later point because parts were
19 already handled
20
21 - arch specifications for packages are reduced to the absolute need, i.e.
22 especially not given if the arch list would match the initial CC list
23
24 I use tatt for my work, and that automatically sorts out all packages that
25 have non-matching package list. Sure, there could be improvements for several
26 things in tatt, but that is IMHO absolutely right the way it is. So if you
27 give all arches and I later decide to do the same bug on an additional arch
28 then it will not do a single package.
29
30 So if you want my work easier, then
31 -don't forget to CC exp arches
32 -don't clean the package list only because packages are already done
33 -let tatt run on your dev box, or preferably in a new chroot yourself, on your
34 package, and fix all the broken dependencies and stuff there yourself. Your
35 amd64 laptop is still way faster than my crowded C8000, and doing a roundtrip
36 through the bugtracker until you find time to fix it will just make you think
37 of "slacking arch teams" next time.
38
39 Thanks,
40