From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:11:07
1 On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 16:40 +0200, Sven Wegener wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > We just had a short discussion over in #gentoo-portage and the idea of
5 > an use.force file for profiles came up. It allows us to force some USE
6 > flags to be turned on for a profile. It's not possible to disable this
7 > flag by make.conf, the environment or package.use. But we would not be
8 > Gentoo, if we don't leave a backdoor. You can disable the flag by
9 > putting -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force if you really need to.
10 > Same goes for sub-profiles that need to disable this flag.
11 >
12 > This use.force support might be used as an replacement for some
13 > USE_EXPANDs like ELIBC and KERNEL because they are prone to break if the
14 > USE_EXPANDed variable is also set in the environment. Like this:
15 >
16 > sven@luna ~ $ KERNEL="foo" emerge --info | grep ^USE=
17 > USE="x86 ... userland_GNU kernel_foo elibc_glibc"
20 I'm in favor of this. Would you mind calling it package.autouse,
21 package.use.auto or are you set on .force?
22
23 > I gues use.force has some other places where it is useful. Like the
24 > default-darwin profiles which use ARCH="ppc" and USE="ppc-macos" but the
25 > ppc-macos flag can be removed by using USE="-ppc-macos" in the
26 > environment. Or selinux profiles, to force the selinux flag to be turned
27 > on.
28 >
29 > Comments?
30 >