From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:17:12
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:07:43 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 22:53 Fri 30 May , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:47:44 +0300
6 >>> Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> The story that matters here is, that a C++ corner case that does
8 >>>> not work on 0.01% of packages with --as-needed and breaks on
9 >>>> non-ELF platforms, should not cause good things for our users to
10 >>>> be shot down.
11 >>> You could say the same thing for -ffast-math...
12 >> When there's a feature that only breaks one package that we know of,
13 >> wouldn't it make more sense to enable it globally and add an
14 >> exception than to do it the other way around?
15 >
16 > Both -ffast-math and --as-needed make the compiler / linker violate
17 > various standards in ways that can't be used safely unless a package
18 > has been explicitly designed to work with it.
19
20 I know exactly which standard -ffast-math violates (IEEE/ISO floating
21 point spec) and how (the man page is quite complete about this),
22 --as-needed doesn't have any warning about this, there isn't any
23 standard that it violates since it's the default behavior at least for 2
24 platform (one from those who wrote most of the ELF spec...).
25 Point the spec, and the paragraph violated.
26
27 lu
31 Luca Barbato
32 Gentoo Council Member