From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Profiles Part 2
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:58:29
1 On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 14:15 -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:58:01PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
3 > > Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
4 > > and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
5 > > One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
6 > > other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
7 > > and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
8 > > and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.
9 > >
10 > > In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
11 > > the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
12 > > the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
13 > > effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
14 > > is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
15 > > Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
16 > > this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
17 > > both Portage and Python being in packages.build.
18 > >
19 > > The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
20 > > bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
21 > > installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
22 > > to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
23 > > dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
24 > > Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
25 > > show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
26 > > the cooperation of package maintainers.
27 > >
28 > > I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
29 > > raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
30 > > other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
31 > > for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
32 > > use the tree without needing Portage installed.
33 > >
34 > > I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
35 > > asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
36 > > happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
37 > > something done here.
38 >
39 > +1, dependant on A) catalyst folk not poking holes in it, B) council
40 > outcome tomorrow (no point in changing it till they've weighed in on
41 > the whole enchilada).
42
43 As the "catalyst folk" I can say that it shouldn't affect us in any way.
44 So long as packages.build still has sys-apps/portage, packages has
45 virtual/portage, and virtuals has sys-apps/portage as the default for
46 the virtual, it won't affect us.
47
48 My only request is that this work gets held off on until after we make
49 our 2006.1 snapshot, to reduce the possibility of us having to hunt down
50 possibly hundreds of potential problems in release-building.
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
55 x86 Architecture Team
56 Games - Developer