From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:29:38
1 On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:20:29 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > emerge --pretend will always show what emerge is going to do.
5
6 Sure, but you know how users are. Until .51, many users complained
7 about emerge that was marking "N" for slotted packages, that was
8 upgrading some injected packages, that was insisting to install
9 things because they were referenced in edb/virtuals, etc.
10 Everytime emerge's behavior goes a bit counter-intuitive, many
11 users are lost. And i think that seeing gcc re-emerged several
12 times on a world update will be counter-intuitive for many of
13 them. I agree that your approach is the right thing to do from a
14 reasonable semantics point of view, but from a user point of view
15 it will probably look different.
16 That said, this problem can also be solved by some cosmetic
17 means, like adding a big warning of that kind:
18 * gcc will have to be emerged twice because you lack the fortran
19 * USE flag, so if that is a problem for you, then add this flag
20 * and you'll be fine. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
21
22 > Even if there were no existing cases at present, not
23 > implementing it from the start is just a guaranteed bug. If the
24 > dep resolver has to be rewritten anyway, why not bring it up to
25 > scratch?
26
27 I completly agree on that, if things are rewrote from scratch,
28 there is no reason to re-introduce some known limitations that can
29 be avoided.
30
31 My point was more that the "check and failure" approach is also
32 an acceptable short term solution, considering that it does not
33 need a complete rewrite of the deps solver, and will give similar
34 results (conflict/failure at depend time) on most existing cases.
35 Does it worth being implemented? I don't know, it depends what are
36 the plans for (or what is the status of) the deps solver
37 rewriting. If it is supposed to come in the next few months, then
38 i guess that this issue can just wait a bit more.
41 TGL.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list