From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o, god@××××××××.in
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-irc/xchat
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:16:35
1 On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 05:07:53 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 04:18:40 -0500 Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > >> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
7 > >> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
8 > >> >> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Lars Wendler wrote:
9 > >> >>> I also planned to release a news through the portage news system as soon as I
10 > >> >>> lastrite xchat so people know how to move over to hexchat. As I never did this
11 > >> >>> before I'd like to have some help concerning this matter. Is there some
12 > >> >>> documentation about portage news?
13 > >> >>
14 > >> >> use profiles/updates/ to move xchat to hexchat ...
15 > >> >
16 > >> > I don't think a package move is appropriate since the two packages
17 > >> > install different files. The installed files would not be updated,
18 > >> > just the vdb.
19 > >>
20 > >> ... which portage will happily "upgrade" next time you `emerge -u world`
21 > >
22 > > Hmm, like 'move sys-fs/udev sys-apps/systemd'?
23 >
24 > i think the difference here is that we all agree that everyone wants
25 > to upgrade from xchat to hexchat
26
27 Maybe. On the other hand, the udev->systemd switch was performed
28 upstream which makes it a valid candidate for package move.
29
30 xchat & hexchat are different packages. It's a bit like pretending that
31 the discontinuation and fork didn't ever happen, and the packages are
32 equivalent (which they are not, as have been already pointed out).
33
34 IMO considering the fact that user needs to migrate his configuration
35 by hand, making the switch automagic is not helpful at all. It's rather
36 confusing when 'xchat' instantly becomes 'hexchat' which it is actually
37 not before the rebuild. And after the rebuild user suffers the usual
38 upgrade pain of packages changing heavily between versions.
39
40 So, please do not hack the updates mechanism around to achieve minor
41 goals. It should be used to move packages which suffered a rename
42 or merge, not to provide replacements and suggestions. For those,
43 package.mask messages are much better.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny