From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:17:45
2 > Ciaran,
6 > If you have anything further constructive to add then lets hear it. Otherwise
7 > changing the default CFLAGS in make.conf is the sensible way forward. Please
8 > remember nobody is forcing you to stick to the default CFLAGS.
9 >
10 > I'm bored with this argument.
11 >
12 > Bart
13
14 Regardless of what you, I, or anybody else thinks about security,
15 wouldn't you agree it is a bad thing to include default CFLAGS in
16 make.conf that potentially a) break compilations, b) impact performance,
17 and/or c) introduce bug reports to upstream maintainers about why their
18 program isn't building or working right, or why it is slow?
19
20 I've spent time in #gentoo, and have seen how badly people break their
21 CFLAGS. There is no point in helping them break their CFLAGS. Why not
22 simply put a blurb about SSP in the install handbook detailing what
23 those CFLAGS do, including the pros/cons. Then, new users can choose
24 whether they want them or not. I think new users are far more likely to
25 just add to the default CFLAGS instead of removing them. If they have
26 read the docs and weighed out the potential benefits or problems, I
27 think this is a much better situation than just adding them because you
28 think that security should be the priority of every install.
29
30 Steve
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list