From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flag "suid" in both use.desc and use.local.desc
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 06:45:27
1 Moving USE flags from local to global status is frequently discussed
2 here, so this seems to be the right forum to raise the issue...
3
4 [d531][waltdnes][~] grep suid /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
5 suid - Enable setuid root program, with potential security risks
6
7 [d531][waltdnes][~] grep :suid /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
8 net-analyzer/nagios-plugins:suid - Give root privileges to the ICMP, DHCP and IDE S.M.A.R.T. check binaries. This allows them to ignore the access controls that would disallow the nagios user from running the check.
9 net-wireless/kismet:suid - Install a setuid root helper binary with limited functionality; this allows running kismet as a normal user, significantly reducing security risks
10
11 BTW, I would've appreciated a headsup (news item) on Xorg getting the
12 "suid" USE flag. I use startx, and I couldn't start X <G>. Fortunately,
13 that was on my netbook, and I was able to Google the solution on my
14 desktop machine... http://en.spontex.org/forum/thread/561/1/ I'm
15 posting a heads up on the user list.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications