From: heroxbd <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:01:48
1 Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o> writes:
2
3 > There are images available for this, btw, if you want to see how it
4 > works and poke around. I'd seen some repositories, but don't know if
5 > there's enough public to do your own build.
6
7 I am very interested in such an image. Would you please dig out a link
8 for me? I searched the web in vain.
9
10 >> As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
11 >> Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
12 >> devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
13 >> difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
14 >> of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
15 >
16 > There are a lot of _hard_ problems here (display, audio, input,
17 > codecs), not to even begin on proper policy integration (your phone is
18 > hooked up, voice call starts, what do you do).
19
20 Yes, you're right.
21
22 > That's not to discourage your effort at all - I think it's great that
23 > you're kicking this off and that there is so much enthusiasm for this.
24 > I look forward to seeing the solutions that emerge to solve all of
25 > these, and am happy to offer to test on a device or two.
26
27 I'd make it incremental, by releasing only a full Gentoo environment
28 (Gentoo RAP) as the first step. Then base on that, gather forces to
29 attack the hard(-ware) problems you mentioned.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Benda