From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Copyright notices in ebuild repositories
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 16:19:18
1 By GLEP 76, two forms of copyright notices are allowed for copyrightable
2 files in Gentoo projects:
3
4 A "long form":
5
6 Copyright YEARS MAIN-CONTRIBUTOR [OTHER-CONTRIBUTOR]... [and others]
7
8 or a "simplified form":
9
10 Copyright YEARS Gentoo Authors
11
12 The latter was introduced because keeping track of ebuild authors is
13 close to impossible. We didn't want to put any burden on developers to
14 decide when information about the main contributor should be updated
15 in the notice. Or, by the GLEP's own wording: "Especially for ebuild
16 repositories, constantly keeping track of the main copyright holder
17 of any file would be rather inconvenient and tedious."
18
19 Therefore, the recommendation is to use the simplified form (i.e.,
20 "Gentoo Authors") in the Gentoo repository, at least for ebuilds and
21 profile files.
22
23 Also, when doing a simple version bump based on a previous ebuild, the
24 existing starting year should be kept. (I am aware that for most ebuilds
25 1999 will not be correct either. Not sure if aiming for something more
26 accurate would be worth the effort, though.)
27
28 Ulrich