From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qa last rites multiple packages
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 04:58:48
1 On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 04:26:02AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 17:47:10 -0600 William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > these packages have been masked in the tree for months - years with no
6 > > signs of fixes.
7 >
8 > Some of them are binary packages or have no fixes upstream. If
9 > there are no alternatives in tree for a package, and it works fine
10 > (despite some bugs or issues), then let it be. If package is
11 > broken, doesn't compile and upstream is dead, this is a possible
12 > candidate for removal.
13 >
14 > > # Ulrich Müller <ulm@g.o> (15 Jul 2014)
15 > > # Permanently mask sys-libs/lib-compat and its reverse dependencies,
16 > > # pending multiple security vulnerabilities and QA issues.
17 > > # See bugs #515926
18 >
19 > This is just QA.
20 >
21 > > games-fps/rtcw
22 >
23 > Works fine here. While there are possible security issues due to
24 > 510960, it is perfectly safe to be used in isolated environment
25 > (e.g. a local game in a separate container).
26 >
27 > > # Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> (03 Mar 2008)
28 > > # Masking due to security bug #194607 and security bug #204067
29 > > games-fps/doom3
30 > > games-fps/doom3-cdoom
31 > > games-fps/doom3-chextrek
32 > > games-fps/doom3-data
33 > > games-fps/doom3-demo
34 > > games-fps/doom3-ducttape
35 > > games-fps/doom3-eventhorizon
36 > > games-fps/doom3-hellcampaign
37 > > games-fps/doom3-inhell
38 > > games-fps/doom3-lms
39 > > games-fps/doom3-mitm
40 > > games-fps/doom3-phantasm
41 > > games-fps/doom3-roe
42 >
43 > Only doom3 is vulnerable here, other pacakegs s are just deps.
44 > Both vulnerabilities are remote, so local users (e.g. if someone
45 > just wants to play original doom3 without multiplayer game) are
46 > perfectly safe.
47 >
48 > Yet this issue may be fixed: doom3 released source code under GPL-3:
49 > https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3
50 > Maybe doom3 should be renamed to doom3-bin (if someone needs it for
51 > whatever reason), and doom3 should be readded as a GPL-3 version.
52 > Doom3 build from source works great for me.
53
54 This would be for the maintainers to decide, but if it is under gpl3
55 now, I would vote for adding the new version and getting rid of the old
56 one. I don't see a need to keep a binary proprietary product if the new
57 one is gpl'd.
58
59 This is why I posted this last rites, to get people to look at the
60 packages. :-)
61
62 William
65 > Security issues are just format string handlings and should be easy
66 > to fix with source code available, though considering how picky is
67 > games team for changing network code outside of upstream, I really
68 > doubt such patches have a chance to come to the tree.
69 >
70 > > # Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o> (21 Mar 2006)
71 > > # masked pending unresolved security issues #127167
72 > > games-roguelike/slashem
73 > >
74 > > # Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o> (21 Mar 2006)
75 > > # masked pending unresolved security issues #125902
76 > > games-roguelike/nethack
77 > > games-util/hearse
78 >
79 > Upstream doesn't consider these issues as bugs at all. This is a
80 > clash of incompatible permission policies by games team and
81 > nethack.
82 >
83 > Best regards,
84 > Andrew Savchenko