From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 4.7 unmasking
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:32:35
1 On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > Though people that use -ffast-math / -fLTO / -fuse-linker-plugin should
3 > be on their own, thus I drop -ffast-math because it breaks my browser;
4 > but that doesn't mean that those ricer flags should stop stabilization.
5
6 If we're talking about for general use in CFLAGs clearly -ffast-math
7 isn't something that even could be supported if we wanted to. The
8 flag is just not intended for general use.
9
10 That isn't the same as saying that we can just break it in cases where
11 it actually is appropriate. Calculating scroll bar movement is
12 exactly the sort of thing that this flag was actually designed for -
13 you don't care if it is off by 1/100th of a pixel.
14
15 But, the way to track that sort of a thing is to log those as bugs
16 against appropriate use within individual apps and make them blockers.
17 I'd consider things like this valid bugs - but whether they hold
18 things up should depend on real-world impact. I'm not sure how bad
19 the impact on chromium actually is.
20
21 Rich