From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:02:15
1 Ryan Phillips wrote: [Fri Apr 28 2006, 03:35:33PM CDT]
2 > To reiterate, changing SCMs would allow us to work better. I have
3 > not heard of a proposed change, a date to change, etc. I strongly
4 > urge that we get something rolling.
5
6 Go for it! *Grin*
7
8 More seriously, the only thing standing in the way of migrating away
9 from CVS is actual evidence that something else will work better. If
10 you want to do the testing, I don't think anybody is going to stand in
11 your way. Indeed, I'm sure that if you wanted to solicit help with
12 testing from our users, I suspect that infra could make a tarball of the
13 repository available.
14
15 Some questions that need to be answered:
16
17 * Can the repo be converted while maintaining the history?
18 * How long does a full checkout take?
19 * How much disk space does a full checkout require?
20 * Is there a viewcvs equivalent available?
21 * Others that I can't think of right now? (Please feel free to add.)
22
23 (As an aside, it's perfectly possible to set up git so that anybody in
24 the appropriate group can make changes.)
25
26 You seem to have an obvious preference for svn; care to to the
27 benchmarking for that case?
28
29 -g2boojum-
30 --
31 Grant Goodyear
32 Gentoo Developer
33 g2boojum@g.o
34 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
35 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76